Interior design is one of the most creative aspects of homemaking. The colors we choose, the way everything is arranged, and even the lighting in our homes all work together to create specific moods. When it comes to home decor trends, 2022 is all about the natural, clean, and bright.
With many people spending more time at home than ever over the past few years, it makes sense that home decor trends are skewing toward personal style, comfort, and wellness. Those are a few themes you’ll see a lot of in this list of 8 home decor trends for 2022.
1) Natural Lighting
Larger windows and skylights that let the natural light in are being favored heavily over harsh artificial lighting as homeowners seek out ways to create a more natural atmosphere in the home.
Natural lighting is important for a few reasons. Having a lot of natural light can help your houseplants thrive. Natural light also makes for better photographs.
There’s a wellness aspect, as well: avoiding artificial lighting in favor of natural rays helps to balance our circadian rhythm. By allowing in natural light during the day, you might find you’re sleeping better at night.
2) 70s Touches
The 70s are back! Not literally, of course, but there are definitely a lot of trends from the disco era coming back into style. Browns, oranges, and yellows will have a moment, as well as psychedelic patterns and plush textures.
The 70s elements are one of the boldest home decor trends 2022 has seen.
If you want to hop on the 70s trend, try adding a few orange throw pillows, some brightly colored rugs, or a fringed lampshade. There’s nothing minimalist about this trend, so go bold!
3) Curvy Elements
Modern, minimalist designs are still popular in many homes, but there is a growing demand for more organic shapes and curves that provide a unique twist to the typical straight-lined living spaces.
To add some curves to your space, try throwing a few round area rugs on the floor, or for a more dramatic statement, use curved furniture such as ottomans and sectional sofas.
You can also add curved lines in unexpected ways, like with unique lighting fixtures and patterned wallpaper.
4) Green Spaces
Seeing green isn’t always a bad thing! In the decor world, shades ranging from light sage to deep forest green are all making their way into the spotlight.
Go all out and paint a room your favorite shade of green or simply add a few green touches: pillows, artwork, and plants can all serve to bring in some green.
5) Personal Touches
No need to emulate design magazines in your home – in 2022, we’re making our homes our own! Letting your personality and interests shine in your decor is becoming more popular and we think that’s great.
Here are a few ways to showcase your personality in your decorating:
- Showcase your library. Display your favorite books out in the open. You’ll continue to be inspired by them and your guests can get a sense of who you are.
- Make your own artwork. Unleash your creativity and create some of your own artwork to display in your home. Painting, collage, and sculptures are all interesting mediums to pursue. If your artistic side is nonexistent, look for unique work from local artists that inspires you.
- Display family heirlooms. Share a bit of family history by displaying family heirlooms front and center. Display cases for some items can help showcase the things you want to bring attention to. Bold frames show off treasured family photos.
- Create a photo wall. A full wall of family photos of all sizes personalizes your home instantly.
- Don’t shy away from color. Pops of your favorite colors are nothing to shy away from! Be brave with color in your decorating this year.
- Display souvenirs. All the places we travel make us who we are – what better way to share those stories than with beautiful displays of treasures from far-off places.
6) Cozy Hideaways
Open floor plans are still very popular, but with everyone staying home more there’s a need for private, cozy spaces. Try creating a reading nook in a quiet corner or a meditation space in a small room.
Having quiet areas to recharge can make a tremendous difference in your family’s mental health.
7) Plants Galore
Houseplants exploded back onto the scene over the last couple of years and there’s no end in sight for this particular trend. Even if you don’t have the greenest of thumbs, you can enjoy easy plants that don’t require a lot of extra care.
A few great houseplants for beginners hopping on the home decor trends 2022 include:
- Pothos – a vining plant that looks great in hanging baskets and can be trained to climb up walls or fixtures.
- Spider plant – a prolific plant with spikey foliage.
- Aloe Vera – a popular succulent that is very low maintenance.
- Dracaena – an easy-care tree also known as “corn plant palm.”
Just be sure to put them in areas where they’ll get some light and water them regularly.
8) Sustainable Materials
Wood, stone, and other natural materials are becoming more popular than man-made ones like plastic. The emphasis is on sustainability, so embrace your inner eco-warrior when choosing decorations and furniture for your home.
Trends come and go, but what’s important is that your home feels inviting and beautiful to you. As you decorate, simply implement the trends that speak to you and leave the rest!
Trying Out Home Decor Trends 2022 and Beyond
What decorating projects do you have on the horizon? Let us know which trends you’re most eager to try in the comments section.